12 oz Ziti Pasta
2 Tbsp Butter
2 Tbsp Flour
1 1/2 - 1 3/4 cups of milk
2 Cups of your favorite shredded cheese
Salt and Pepper (either white or black pepper) to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions*
- (optional: salt the water)
- Drain and set aside (do not rinse**)
- Using the same pot add in your butter, allow that to melt over medium high heat.
- Add your flour to the melted butter. Whisk them together, vigorously, into a paste or roux. Whisk until the flour is fully mixed into the butter. Continue stirring and cook roux just a few minutes, (to the point where there is no raw flour taste).
- Slowly add in some milk to the roux. Mixing it fully into a creamy texture. Then slowly add in more milk while stirring it, until all the milk is fully incorporated into a creamy sauce.
- Add in the cheese, 1/2 - 1 cup at a time, until all the cheese if fully mixed in.
- Add the cooked noodles into the cheese sauce, mix thoroughly and Enjoy!
- (optional: add pepper to your final dish or add in during final stages of cheese sauce) I did not use pepper in my dish since we used spicy cheese.
Pairs perfectly with a salad or simply adding fruit and veggies on the side. Also makes for an ultimate side dish in itself!
I used a store brand southwest shredded cheese. It was a Mexican blend with jalapenos. This Mac and Cheese was so good, my family never wants me to buy boxed again! This was easy to make and so much tastier! I am excited to make this more often!
*You may want to cook pasta until al dente, which translates to "to the tooth." This means it is slightly hard when you bite down into it. Since the pasta has to sit while you are making the cheese sauce, this will help ensure there won't be over cooked noodles in your dish.
**By not rinsing the pasta, the natural starches in the noodles with help the sauce stick to the noodles
Roux: a cooked mixture of flour and fat used as a thickening agent in a soup or a sauce.
$1.00 off THREE (3) boxes of Barilla Blue Box
$0.55 off One Sargento Sliced Natural Cheese Item
Save 25¢ when you buy any ONE (1) box of Ronzoni® Pasta. Expires 11/12/2014
Browse my other Easy and Delicious Recipes here
and Follow Me, Coupon Crazy Freebie Fanatic:
and Instagram #CouponCrazyFF
*This post may contain affiliate links*Please refer to my disclosure policy for more information*
Simple, Easy and Delicious Macaroni and Cheese Recipe